Happy birthday KDE Plama 5
The current iteration of the most advanced GNU/Linux desktop environment is five year old today; KDE Plasma 5.0 was launched July 16th, 2014. KDE itself is much older, it's launch date of October 14th, 1996 makes it 22 years old. Plasma itself is also older with the first version being introduced with KDE 4 on 23rd October 2007 - nearly 12 years ago.
KDE Plasma has come a long way since then. KDE Plasma 4 was replaced by the fifth version on July 16th, 2014. This makes the current version of KDE Plasma five years old on this day.
KDE Plasma 5.16 on KDE Neon
KDE Plasma 5 is available as an alternative on most GNU/Linux distributions. It is the default desktop on KDE's own KDE Neon distribution. It is also available on Debian, Manjaro Linux and other leading Linux distributions.
You can learn more about KDE and KDE Plasma technology at https://kde.org/
published 2019-07-16 - last edited 2019-07-16
Latest KDE News
- KDevelop 5.4 released
- Latte Dock 0.9 for KDE Plasma released
- Windows users of KDE applications: Do not uninstall.exe
- It's over, Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish is EOL
- KDE Connect now lets you connect your Mac to Android phones and Linux desktops
Latest News Headlines
- Mesa 19.3.0 Will Be Released Next Week
- Purism Announces US-Manufactured Librem 5 Model For $1999 USD
- Linux Kernel Could Support Automatic Closing Of CD/DVD Drive Trays On Mount (Again)
- Libxfce4ui 4.15.0 Is Released, Drops GTK2 Support