Arch Conf 2020
From LinuxReviewsJump to navigationJump to search
Arch Conf 2020 a virtual free software conference dedicated to Arch Linux that took place in September, 2020.
- Arch Linux: Past, Present and FutureAllan McRae gave a very detailed overview of the 18 years of Arch Linux and Levente Polyak gave insights into the current state of Arch and it's potential future in a joint presentation at Arch Conf 2020 on October 10th, 2020. It's a great watch if you want to learn the history of Arch and know what changes it may potentially have in the future.
- Chris Down, Facebook: Linux memory management at scaleFacebook-employed Linux kernel engineer Chris Down held a 40 minute talk about memory management at the Arch Conf 2020 today. It was filled with useful insights, tips and strategies for Linux memory management using modern kernel frame-works like cgroups and tools like the
oomduserspace Out-Of-Memory killer. The memory management strategies that vastly improved Facebook's servers may benefit your servers or perhaps just your desktop or laptop.
- Distri: researching fast Linux package managementMichael Stapelberg was a Debian developer for 7 years before he abandoned in favor of Arch Linux it due to "antique tooling and slow changes". Arch's Pacman package manager isn't fast enough for him so he decided to develop Distri, a blazing fast package manager. He presented it at the Arch Conf 2020. The video presentation is 20 minutes with an additional 30 minutes of Q&A.
- GamerOS: An Arch Linux based gaming OSVideo: Alesh Slovak missed Vavle's SteamOS so he created a new GNU/Linux operating system called GamerOS based on Arch Linux and some of the components from SteamOS. The idea is to have a OS that boots directly into Steam's Big Picture mode so you can sit on the couch and use a PC with a game-pad the same way you would use a gaming console. Alesh Slovak presented his new OS at the Arch Conf 2020 last weekend. His video presentation is about 45 minutes with Q&A.
- How Arch Linux Manage Their Servers: "Infrastructure at Arch: Making servers go brrrrr"Sven-Hendrik Haaase gave an enlightening talk about the servers and the infrastructure used by Arch Linux to serve packages, The Arch Linux Wiki and the rest of the services the Arch Linux team provides at the Arch Linux Conf 2020 on Saturday October 10th, 2020. The video is about 30 minutes + 15 minutes of Q&A.
- Zvezdin Besarabov: How to organise your digital life in a privacy-preserving, machine-agnostic, and practical mannerZvezdin Besarabov held a talk at the Arch Conf 2020 last weekend where he shared what software he ended up using on his personal devices with after trying to find free software with a perfect balance between usability and privacy. He covers the GNU/Linux and the Android alternatives to less privacy-respecting commercial software for e-mail, calendar, contacts, task management, office applications, password management and cloud storage.