Wine 5.14 Brings 26 Bug-Fixes To The Wine Development Branch
The latest development version of the
Emulator translation layer for running Windows software on other operating systems has a total of 26 small game and application specific bug-fixes. There's also a new Webdings font and some of the MSVCRT libraries have been converted to Portable Executable (PE) binaries. There are few improvements to the wined3d DirectX 9-11 to Vulkan translation layer in this release.
written by 윤채경 (Yoon Chae-kyung). published 2020-08-07 - last edited 2020-08-07
Wine 5.14 is a development branch release so it has, as such, got a lot of under the hood changes beyond the usual bug fixes. Developer Alexandre Julliard has made several bigger changes to the way
ntdll is handled. That core Wine library now calls
virtual_set_large_address_space() and several other system calls directly from the Linux/Unix side. Developer Brendan Shanks has also been hard at work adding better
bcrypt support. Dmitry Timoshkov has implemented several new C++ fuctions such as
IOleObject::Advise() to the
Brendan Shanks, Georg Lehmann, Joshua Ashton and Liam Middlebrook have all contributed with improvemnts to the
winevulkan library that allows Wine to run Windows software using the Vulkan API. Wine now supports Vulkan specification version 1.2.148.
Update to VK spec version .
Developer Piotr Caban has, all by himself, made 28 changes to the
msvcrt library. A lot more software using that particular library will be run under Wine as of this release.
Jacek Caban and Zebediah Figura stand out as the biggest contributors to Wine 5.14 with 47 and 58 code changes respectively.
The complete list of game and application specific bugs fixed in this release is as follows:
- 0106 Changing CursorBlinkRate in the registry has no effect
- 19040 AOL 9.0 fails to install
- 19775 Largo Winch: crash with hardware vertex shader
- 38941 DOSCenter: Text colors are missing
- 39721 Listview custom draw in report mode uses wrong background color
- 43434 StarCraft: Brood War doesn't run without setting the Windows version to 2003 or Vista
- 43949 WINEDEBUG=+relay does not work on armv7l
- 44129 Bayonetta: much slower than on Windows
- 47161 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - Not show cinematics at all
- 47501 Toontown Rewritten: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x1fea2b7 (thread 0064)
- 48555 Helm Standalone/VST plugin 32bit version has random content in window, 64bit version works OK
- 48856 Renegade Ops needs D3DX10GetImageInfoFromMemory implementation
- 48859 PassMark PerformanceTest 10 crashes during start since wine-4.11
- 49418 Wargaming.net -> Game Center -> starts with the message: Unable to connect to the content service. Please check you internet connection and try again.
- 49436 64-bit Diablo III hangs on startup since 5.11
- 49474 Chaos Legion does not work with wine quartz.
- 49487 ListView control custom draw in report view shows blank item if handler clears uItemState CDIS_SELECTED flag
- 49523 Access denied opening c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe\cmd.exe
- 49561 After update to wine-5.12 "1c" start crashed with error Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in *64-bit code (0x00000000100fb266).
- 49562 Godot Engine have broken shadows and doesn't read properly settings file
- 49578 Battle.net wouldn't start
- 49581 Disk Genius needs kernel32.SetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable
- 49590 Battle.net Agent.exe hang/crash
- 49604 TES4:Oblivion hang on filter_graph.cs on Wine 5.13
- 49620 Tableau Desktop fails to install
- 49626 ntdll can be loaded multiple times into the same process
The source code for Wine 5.14 is available from mirrors.ibiblio.org/wine/source/5.x/. You are likely better off waiting for your distribution to add it to their repositories if you are using one of the more bleeding-edge distributions like Manjaro, Arch and Fedora who ship the Wine development branch. Wine really is a huge and very long compile.
You will have to use a PPA or a external repo or overlay to get Wine 5.14 if you are using a LTS distribution. Those using a "stable" LTS distributions will instead have the newly released Wine 5.02 stable release available to them shortly. That version does not include most of the fixes found in the 5.14 development release but it does have 46 bug fixes since Wine 5.01.