Libxfce4ui 4.15.0 Is Released, Drops GTK2 Support
The first version of the Xfce user interface library in the 4.15 series which will eventually become a stable 4.16-release late next year has 10 bug-fixes, a lot of translation updates for international users and build-requirement of GTK3 3.22. GTK2 support is, as expected, dropped as of this release.
The developers of the leading GNU/Linux desktop environment kicked off development of the next major Xfce version back in October with the release of Xfce-panel 4.15.0. It dropped support for the older GTK2 library so it is not shocking to see that GTK2 support was removed from the Libxfce4ui user interface library as of version 4.15.0.
This release is mostly interesting for developers who are interested in writing applications targeting the Xfce desktop environment. 4.15.x releases are development releases for what will become a stable Xfce 4.16 release around October 2020. This is not a release meant for consumption by the general public.
"There are nearly no features in 4.15.0 apart from the new system info tab and the new dialog.
gtk2 gets dropped so apps targetting 4.16 know they have to port."
The complete changelog for Libxfce4ui 4.15.0 is as follows:
- Drop support for Gtk2
- Make glibtop an optional dependency ("About System" tab)
- about: Add system info tab
- about: Hide system tab conditionally
- dialogs: Use symbolic window-close icon
- Fix Window not visible when grabbing keyboard (Bug #16054)
- Bump Gtk3 to 3.22 (Bug #15781)
- Do not use gdk_screen_get_monitor_at_point (Bug #15781)
- Replace gtk_show_uri (Bug #15781)
- Replace gdk_display_get_screen (Bug #15781)
- Replace gdk_keymap_get_default (Bug #15781)
- Replace deprecated device functions (Bug #15781)
- Replace gdk_error_trap_* and gdk_flush (Bug #15781)
- Ignore what is hard to replace (Bug #15781)
- Add a dialog to confirm closure of multiple tabs (bug #15873)
- Translation Updates: Bulgarian, Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (United Kingdom), Finnish, French, Galician, German, Hungarian, Interlingue, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Turkish
Those who are interested in trying this release who don't just use Xfce's git tree for some reason can download the source code from archive.xfce.org's folder /src/xfce/libxfce4ui/4.15/.