Wine 6.3 Is Released
The latest development-release of the popular Windows compatibility layer WINE has better WinRT support in the Wine Interface Definition Language (WIDL), better debugger support in the NT syscall interface, the WineGStreamer library converted to a Portable Executable (PE) and 24 game and application specific bug-fixes.
The latest Wine development release 6.3 has 24 game-specific bug-fixes. Those include a partial
imagehlp.BindImageEx implementation for
py2exe, a fix for the Monopoly Deluxe installer, a fix that allows the Logos Bible Software versions 4 through 9 to download the files it needs, a crash fix for Seagate Crystal Enterprise 8.0, a fix for all the Macromedia Director Player 4.x based games and a fix for Civilization IV BTS which wouldn't let you return to full-screen if you alt-tabbed away from it since a regression was introduced with Wine 4.10.
Wine 6.3 has one rather important fix for the Steam for Windows. It will no longer enter a endless restarting cycle after launching any game
There's also a few build-specific fixes. It is now possible to build Wine with clang-10.0 as a crosscompiler without encountering a horrible build failure.
There's also some general changes. The WineGStreamer library has been turned into a portable executable, WinRT support as been added to the Wine Interface Definition Language (WIDL) and there is better debugger support for the NT syscall interface.
Mario Kart DX12 crashing horribly in Wine 6.3.
You still can't play Mario Kart DX12, a DirectX12 Mario Kart implementation using something called a "ThICC Engine", but you can play a lot more games with Wine now than you could when Wine 5.0 was released slightly more than one year ago.
The source code for Wine 6.3 can be acquired from dl.winehq.org/wine/source/6.x/ and there are installation instructions for binary packages for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Android and macOS at wiki.winehq.org/Download.
The Wine website is at winehq.org.
Latest Gaming news
- Wine 6.6 Is Released
- Mesa 21.0.2 Is Released With Minor Bug-Fixes Mostly For AMD Graphics Hardware
- DevilutionX 1.2 Is Released For The Enjoyment Of Diablo Fans
- Linux Steering Wheel Manager Oversteer v0.6.0 Brings support For 6 Additional Wheels
- Total War: Three Kingdoms - Fates Divided Is Now Available For Linux
Latest News Headlines
- LXQt Desktop 0.17 Is Released
- Linux Kernel Runtime Guard 0.9.0 Is Released
- The State Of OpenCL To Vulkan Compute Layers On Linux In April 2021
- Google Is Working On A New And Possibly Better LRU Memory Management Framework For The Linux Kernel
- Oil Shell 0.8.9 Is Released