Frictional Games Has Released Source Code For Two Amnesia Games As FOSS Under The GNU GPLv3
Swedish Frictional Games AB has released the source code for their Amnesia: The Dark Descent (2010) and Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (2013) games as free open source software under the GNU GPLv3 license. The game assets have not been made available under any free license so the full games remain proprietary software.
The games are written in C++. They use SDL for input processing, OpenGL to render the graphics and the OpenAL API for audio.
The Swedes have not released any game assets under a free license, so the full games remain non-free proprietary software.
"I also hope this release can be of help to anyone wanting to create their own engine or just wanting to learn more about game programming. While the code is not the greatest in places and the tech used is not the latest, it is a fully contained game engine in a fairly easy-to-understand package. It is also a testament that it is possible to do this sort of thing, even with a very limited team."
A game bundle with Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is currently on a 25% sale for €60 or about $70 in the Steam store. The Amnesia games are available for Linux, Windows and macOS.
Latest Gaming news
- Wine 6.6 Is Released
- Mesa 21.0.2 Is Released With Minor Bug-Fixes Mostly For AMD Graphics Hardware
- DevilutionX 1.2 Is Released For The Enjoyment Of Diablo Fans
- Linux Steering Wheel Manager Oversteer v0.6.0 Brings support For 6 Additional Wheels
- Total War: Three Kingdoms - Fates Divided Is Now Available For Linux
Latest News Headlines
- Amazon Has Released OpenSearch, An Apache Licensed Alternative To The SSPL Licensed ElasticSearch Search Platform
- 6250+ Free Software Users Have Signed A Letter In Support Of Honorary Doctor Richard Stallman And The FSF Stands By Their Re-Election Of RMS To Their Board
- 3YE's (써드아이) Lastest Digital Single "Stalker" Has Reached 500k+ Views On YouTube
- G'MIC 2.9.7 Is Released
- Lagrange v1.3.2 Is Released