Xfce Image Viewer Ristretto 0.10.0 released
This is the first version of Ristretto which is based on GTK3+. It is essentially the same as the GTK2 version. It has some bug-fixes and translation updates but nothing new in terms of features, the port to GTK3 is the big high-light in this release.
Ristretto was one of the last Xfce applications on the 4.14 roadmap which was not ported from GTK2 to GTK3. Xfce developer Igor Zakharov has worked tirelessly to bring Ristretto into the new GTK3 paradime.
Some features like the ability to set Xfce's desktop wallpaper has been made backwards compatible so Ristretto 0.10.0 is able to work with both Xfce 4.12 and the very soon to be released 4.14.
The more important highlights from the changelog for this release are:
- Port to GTK3
- Add icons to "Close", "Cancel", "Apply", "OK" buttons
- Resolve or suppress deprecation warnings
- Resolve "GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent" for set wallpaper dialog
- Fix the ristretto icon loading size (128, not 256)
- Fix sensitivity of flip menu
- Add more separators to the menus
- Make Preferences dialog prettier
- Make the privacy dialog prettier
- Support for setting background image for both gtk2 and gtk3 versions of xfdesktop (bug #14571)
- configure: print build configuration
- Translation updates: Belarusian (be), Danish (da), German (de), Spanish (es), Basque (eu), Finnish (fi), Hungarian (hu), Armenian (Armenia) (hy_AM), Italian (it), Kazakh (kk), Lithuanian (lt), Norwegian Bokmål (nb), Polish (pl), Portuguese (pt), Portuguese (Brazil) (pt_BR), Russian (ru), Turkish (tr), Chinese (China) (zh_CN), Chinese (Taiwan) (zh_TW)
Ristretto still lacks an easy way to quickly switch between folders. Adding this essential functionality would be a big change and a lot of work. Ristretto developer Igor Zakharov had this to say about it:
"The first gtk3 release will mostly be a port of existing functionality plus some bug fixes. the folder switching feature is a big one; perhaps, it will be implemented later."
Xfce 4.14 final is scheduled to be released on Sunday the 11th of August. Xfce's Release Manager Simon Steinbeiss will be unable to work on Xfce this weekend due to important personal priorities. Several leading Xfce developers have been given git commit access and the release will likely proceed as scheduled.
published 2019-08-09 - last edited 2019-08-09
Latest Xfce News
- Xfce 4.16pre1 Released With Client Side Decorations And Minor Improvements
- Xfwm4 4.14.3 Is Released With X-Resource Extension Support
- Thunar 4.15.1 Brings A Pause Button On Copy/Move File Operations And Much More
- Xfce4-time-out-plugin 1.1.1 Is Released
- Thunar 1.8.14 Is Released
- Thunar 1.8.13 Is Released With Unfortunate Bug That Makes It Useless As A File Manager
Latest News Headlines
- AMDs AMDVLK Vulkan Driver For Linux Remains Horribly Slow At Compute Compared To The Mesa RADV Driver
- DXVK 1.8.1 Is Released With Better DirectX 9 Performance On AMD GPUs
- KStars v3.5.2 Is Released
- Vulkan 1.2.171 Is Released With Ray-Tracing Fix And BlackBerry QNX Support
- Hardware Unboxed Has Been Shadow-Banned From YouTube
See the news archive for more headlines