Mageia 7 RC released
The Mageia Community have released what they hope will be the last release candidate before the final version of Mageia 7. It's got updated packages of everything from the kernel to mesa to Xfce. We tried it out and while it's nice it needs more polish.
Mageia is a distribution with a 9 month release-cycle and 18 months of support for each release. Each release has bleeding edge versions of it's packages and Mageia 7 is no exception. It comes with kernel 5.1.5, mesa 19.1, firefox 67, chromium 73 and libreoffice 6.2.3. There are three desktop editions with either Xfce 4.13.5, Plasma 5.15.4 or GNOME 3.32.
Mageia uses systemd as a service-manager and it's package-manager is RPM-based. It uses urpmi as a terminal tool for package management and it has a nice graphical package-manager called RPMDrake for easy software installation in it's desktop environments.
Mageia 7's LiveCD desktop with Xfce 4.13.5's secret panel Tic Tac Toe game
We tested and reviewed the Xfce desktop version and found it to be somewhat unpolished. The lack an easy way to do full disk encryption during installation is also a problem. It's fine apart from those minor details. See our full review for a more in-depth look.
The release announcement for Mageia 7 RC can be read at https://blog.mageia.org/en/2019/06/02/mageia-7-rc-released-for-testing/ and the official website is at https://www.mageia.org/en/
published 2019-06-03 - last edited 2019-07-30
Latest News Headlines
- Git v2.23.0 is released and available
- Fedora 31 is branched: Here are the high-lights in the next Fedora version
- Creating Worms exploiting Windows Remote Desktop Vulnerabilities knock on port 3389
- Happy Birthday Debian
- AMD finally submits kernel patch for broken RDRAND on older AMD APUs
- Tor Snowflake launched as a censorship countermeasure for the The Onion Router network
- Treasure-trove of internal Google documents showing censorship and bias leaked by insider
- Linux Kernel 5.3-rc4 released
- Xfce 4.14 Released
See the more archive for news headlines