Biostar BIOSes enabling PCIe Gen 4 on AMD 400-series Motherboards are available
Taiwanese computer giant Biostar has released BIOS updates for several 400 series motherboards which enables fourth generation PCI Express on the first x16 slow as well as the M.2 NVMe slot if a Ryzen 3000 CPU is used.
Biostar representatives showcasing their product line-up at Comptex Tappei in June 2018.
The Biostar motherboards with BIOS updates enabling PCIe 4 available are:
- AB45C-M4S (B450MH)
- AB35G-M4S (B45M2)
- AX47A-A4T (X470GT8)
- AX47A-I4S (X470GTN).
The BIOS updates can be acquired from their support download page. They are marked as "AGESA ComboAM4 PI22.214.171.124 PatchAB ".
Only the topmost (primary) PCI Express x16 slot and the NVMe slot will have PCIe 4 if a Ryzen 3000 CPU is present. The PCIe slots which go through the chipset will still be limited to PCIe 2
AMD does not officially support PCIe 4 on 400 series motherboards. Hardware manufacturers like Biostar and ASUS are able to enable it nevertheless by changing the binary AGESA blobs from AMD which they embed into their BIOS images.
Machines using the newly released Biostar BOISes will not have a functioning RDRAND instruction. RDRAND was plain broken on Ryzen 3000 series CPUs at launch. AMD admitted it's broken and promised a BIOS update after pretending there was no problem for days. They then released a AGESA BIOS microcode update which caused all kinds of stability issues causing it to promptly be pulled. This is why these new Biostar BIOS updates will fail to boot most modern Linux distributions - with Debian being a notable exception. This; this is great news if you have one of the above mentioned Biostar motherboards and a Ryzen 3000 series CPU and you like Debian.
published 2019-07-22 - last edited 2019-07-30
Latest AMD news
- The Mesa RADV Vulkan Driver Will Soon Have An Option That Boosts Performance 30%+ On RDNA2 GPUs By Rendering Less
- AMD ROCm 4.1 Is Released With A Fine New Notice Saying "GUI-Based software" Is "Not Supported"
- AMD Launches 3 High-End RX 6000-Series GPUs For 4k Gaming
- AMD Announces Record High Q3 2020 Profits And $35 Billion Deal To Buy Xilinx
- Sensor Fusion Hub Driver For AMD Laptops With Gyroscopes Is Coming To Linux 5.11
- AMDVLK 2020.Q4.1 Is Released With A New Vulkan Extension And Three Game-Specific Fixes
Latest News Headlines
- HOWTO Make Mozilla Firefox Stop Nagging You About Updates And Other Annoying Idiocy
- The Best Linux Vulkan Driver For AMD GPUs: Mesa RADV vs AMDVLK
- LXQt Desktop 0.17 Is Released
- Linux Kernel Runtime Guard 0.9.0 Is Released
- The State Of OpenCL To Vulkan Compute Layers On Linux In April 2021