Linux Kernel 5.2 can't into Chromium VAAPI accelerated video on Intel i915
The annoyance when you just want to watch Oh My Girls new music video and you find that you can't because your shiny new kernel's got a broken driver for your Intel iGPU can be avoided by either not upgrading kernel 5.2 or by not using Chromium the VAAPI accelerated video patch.
Playing video with mpv using the VAAPI API works just fine with Linux Kernel 5.2 and the i915 Intel graphics driver. Playing video in Chromium with without hardware video acceleration is also working just fine.
Playing video in Chromium with video acceleration on kernel 5.2 with
HD Graphics 5500 powered by the i915 graphics driver results in The Hang and this dmesg output:
[ 86.016975] i915 0000:00:02.0: GPU HANG: ecode 8:1:0xfffffffe, in chromium-vaapi , hang on rcs0 [ 86.016976] [drm] GPU hangs can indicate a bug anywhere in the entire gfx stack, including userspace. [ 86.016977] [drm] Please file a _new_ bug report on bugs.freedesktop.org against DRI -> DRM/Intel [ 86.016978] [drm] drm/i915 developers can then reassign to the right component if it's not a kernel issue. [ 86.016978] [drm] The gpu crash dump is required to analyze gpu hangs, so please always attach it. [ 86.016979] [drm] GPU crash dump saved to /sys/class/drm/card0/error [ 86.017989] i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 for hang on rcs0 [ 94.004437] i915 0000:00:02.0: Resetting rcs0 for hang on rcs0
We tested Mesa 19.0.8 and 19.1.2 because why not and there is no difference: Linux kernel 5.2 has this problem using both Mesa versions.Kernel 5.1.16 does not.
This may not affect you since about half of the Linux distributions ship Chromium versions without the VAAPI patch-set which enabled hardware video decoding. You can find out what your chromium version supports by entering the magic address
chrome://gpu in the address bar. There should be a section called "Video Acceleration Information" at the bottom of that informative page.
The hang is 100% reproducible on kernel 5.2 with VAAPI enabled Chromium 75.x. Yet nothing else appears to trigger The Hang.
What else is broken in kernel 5.2?
Perhaps nothing, after using it since it's release the only problem or freeze we've seen is the GPU hang when chromium is playing video using the video acceleration API VAAPI which, for some reason, works just fine with other media players.
We warned that Linux Kernel 5.2 has bigger than usual changes to critical sub-systems and we recommended not upgrading until 5.2.2 due to potential bugs. We warned you.
You can check if you are affected by this issue by playing the following Oh My Girl "The fifth season" (SSFWL) stage-mix video using Chromium with VAAPI enabled:
Oh My Girl's Yooa is so beautiful and gorgeous and talented.
AMD GPUs do not have this problem and it is also not triggered on all Intel GPUs using the i915 driver, just some.
published 2019-07-11 - last edited 2019-07-11
Latest Graphics news
- The Mesa RADV Vulkan Driver Will Soon Have An Option That Boosts Performance 30%+ On RDNA2 GPUs By Rendering Less
- Mesa 21 Broke VAAPI Hardware Encoding On Machines With AMD Graphics Cards. A Fix Is Coming.
- Mesa 21.0.2 Is Released With Minor Bug-Fixes Mostly For AMD Graphics Hardware
- Mesa Considers Dropping Default Support For 16+ Year Old x86 CPUs
- AMD ROCm 4.1 Is Released With A Fine New Notice Saying "GUI-Based software" Is "Not Supported"
- Mesa Could Fork Older "Classic" Display Drivers Out To A Separate "Mesa Classic-LTS" Branch
Latest News Headlines
- Thank you FSF for defending Richard Stallman
- 6250+ Free Software Users Have Signed A Letter In Support Of Honorary Doctor Richard Stallman And The FSF Stands By Their Re-Election Of RMS To Their Board
- 3YE's (써드아이) Lastest Digital Single "Stalker" Has Reached 500k+ Views On YouTube
- G'MIC 2.9.7 Is Released
- Lagrange v1.3.2 Is Released