Firefox 67 Released with Promises of Faster Startup Time and other Performance Improvements
Firefox 67 adds the ability to choose which extensions should be used for "private" tabs. It also adds support for cryptminers and fingerprinting in it's "Content Blocking" preferences. The AV1 video decider has been switched to dav1d.
Forced Upgrades "To Keep You Safe"
"Firefox will now protect you against running older versions of the browser which can lead to data corruption and stability issues"
Mozilla's recent blunder where an expired certificate made all extensions stop working comes to mind. We are not at all convinced that a feature which allows Mozilla to stop older versions of their browser from working is a good thing.
General usability improvements
The toolbar is now fully keyboard accessible making Firefox more efficient to use for those who prefer keyboard shortcuts.
There is also new "helpful" highlighting of features such as "Pinned Tabs" when Firefox thinks you need to use them.
There's also supposedly security fixes in Firefox 67 but none are listed on the Mozilla Corporation's "Security Advisories" page.
Firefox 67 starts painting sooner but less frequently on page-loads. This should give the impression of faster page-loads. It will also suspend unused tabs which, is done correctly would be a good thing. If notifications from background-tabs still work as expected on all sites where that is important remains to be tested.
The new version is not yet in your favorite distributions package repositories but it will be soon and your normal upgrade procedure will give you the new technology.
Footnotes where you can learn more
last edited 2019-05-21
Latest news headlines
- Git v2.23.0 is released and available
- Fedora 31 is branched: Here are the high-lights in the next Fedora version
- Creating Worms exploiting Windows Remote Desktop Vulnerabilities knock on port 3389
- Happy Birthday Debian
- AMD finally submits kernel patch for broken RDRAND on older AMD APUs
- Tor Snowflake launched as a censorship countermeasure for the The Onion Router network
- Treasure-trove of internal Google documents showing censorship and bias leaked by insider
- Linux Kernel 5.3-rc4 released
- Xfce 4.14 Released
See the more archive for news headlines