PyPy 7.3.0 Is Released Just-In-Time For Christmas
The latest version of the just-in-time python interpreter PyPy fixes "several issues and bugs raised by the growing community". The binary downloads offered by the project are now built using the standard manylinux2010 docker image which means that they can be used with just about any GNU/Linux distribution.
written by 林慧 (Wai Lin). published 2019-12-24 - last edited 2019-12-26
manylinux is a project which provides a CentOS 6 docker image with the tools required to make binary python extensions which will run on any Linux distribution. PyPy 7.3.0 is built so the binaries offered at pypy.org/download.html will run on all Debian and Red Hat based distributions. That includes Ubuntu, Linux Mint, CentOS, Fedora and many more. Fedora has its own pypy packages in its repositories, they are called
pypy for Python 2.x and
pypy3 for Python 3.x.
PyPy 7.3.0 is a double release which includes PyPy2.7, with support for the standard features in the discontinued Python 2.7, and PyPy3.6 which, as the name implies, can be a drop-in replacement for Python 3.6. The advantage of using PyPy over the typically default standard Python interpreter is one of speed: PyPy executes python code faster, much faster in some cases.
pypy will do what regular
python does in most cases. This code:
will output the Fibonacci sequence up to 1000 (0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987) when it's executed with
python3 fib.py and
pypy3 fib.py. Pypy's performance advantage is irrelevant in this particular case. If you are using Python for something where speed is relevant then PyPy's new release is for you.
- Xow 0.3 Is Released With Rumbe Support For Wireless XBox Dongles
- Util-linux 2.35 Is Released With hwclock Re-Licensed To GNU GPL v3
- Web Browser Showdown: Six Browsers On Four Computers
- KDE Plasma 5.18 Wallpaper Winner Announced
- Rocket League Is Ditching Linux Support
- Linux 5.6 Will Support Per-Die Temperature Readings On AMD Zen2 Processors
- GNU make 4.3 Is Released
- Microsoft WordPad 2020 Will Contain In-App Advertisements
- Wine 5.0 Is Released With Multi-Monitor Support, Vulkan 1.1 Support and New XAudio2 re-implementation