Hospital Management System GNU Health Version 3.6 Is Released
GNU Health is a 11 year old free software Medical Record, Health Information and Hospital Management system. It can be deployed as a single instance for a local doctors office or a distributed instance for a network of hospitals in a country.
GNU Health is not a end-user program for patients. Asking your local hospital or doctors office why they are not using a mature free software solution may be prudent but there's little point in installing this software on your own computer.
If you are a health professional or hospital director or you work higher up in your country's public health sector then GNU Health may be worth a look. It a free open source software which could both save costs and provide a better and more sustainable alternative to existing software solutions. GNU Health's homepage is at gnuhealth.org and there is extensive documentation at en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GNU_Health.
The latest GNU Health 3.6 version has the following changes since the prior release:
- Both GNU Health client and server are now in Python3
- Remove Python2 support
- GH HMIS server uses Tryton 5.0 LTS kernel (5 year support)
- Client is based on Tryton GTK client 5.2
- Automation on the GH Federation queue management
- Integration to Orthanc DICOM server
- Pages of Life models fully integrated with patient evaluation & GH Federation
- GNU Health camera plugin integrated with the latest OpenCV
- GH Client uses GI. Removed pygtkcompat.
- GH Federation HIS has been migrated from MongoDB to PostgreSQL
- New demo database downloader
- Thalamus uses now uwsgi as the default WSGI
- SSL is the default method for Thalamus and the GH Federation
The latest version can be acquired from savannah.gnu.org/projects/health.
Dive into the GNU Health documentation to see if it could be a good fit for your use-case if you're curious to see if your organization can benefit from a free and open health information system. There are hospitals and government organizations around the world are using it on a daily basis, this is real software worth a peak.