23rd Chaos Communication Congress
The Chaos Communication Congress is a "hacker" conference held annually in Berlin. The 23rd conference, like all of them, featured the most l33t hackers on the Internet who gave lectures about computer security, anonymity and other important subjects.
This years event's theme was "Who can you trust?".
Some of the interesting events who took place at 23C3:
Detecting temperature through clock skew
Detecting temperature through clock skew by Steven J. Murdoch covered how temperature variations cause clock skew, a fact that can potentially be used to identify computers on the Internet in order to, for example, identify computers who are running location hidden Tor-services.
This event was covered in Wired Magazine..
Download (unofficial videos)
- timeskew1-t2s1.wmv (19 MB): kaschwig.net-1 kaschwig.net-2 kaschwig.net-3 fau.de tu-bs.de c-otto.de
- timeskew1-t2s2.wmv (200 MB): kaschwig.net-1 kaschwig.net-2 kaschwig.net-3 fau.de tu-bs.de c-otto.de
Pornography and Technology
Pornography and Technology - a love affair by Tina Lorenz goes through the history of pornography and technology up to and beyond modern times.
Download (unofficial video)
Rootkits as Reversing Tools
Download (unofficial videos)
- rootkits-reverse-t3s4.wmv (254 MB): kaschwig.net-1 kaschwig.net-2 kaschwig.net-3 fau.de tu-bs.de c-otto.de
Above mentioned events are only a few of the interesting events who took place at 23C3. Take a look at the official events list at https://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/Fahrplan/events.en.html to get an overview of all the knowledge that was shared, and download those lectures you find interesting (The titles give you a good idea of the topic).
Official recordings from 23c3 (in 640x480 high-quality m4v format) from the first days are now available and can be downloaded from the following mirrors:
- ftp://dewy.fem.tu-ilmenau.de/CCC/23C3/video/ (FeM e.V. Ilmenau)
- ftp://mirror.hgkz.ch/CCC/23C3/ (HGKZ Zurich, Switzerland)
- ftp://ftp.stw-bonn.de/pub/23C3/ (Studentenwerk Bonn)
- http://dewy.fem.tu-ilmenau.de/CCC/23C3/video/ (FeM e.V. Ilmenau)
- http://fsmpi.uni-bayreuth.de/~pw/23c3/ (Uni Bayreuth)
- http://challenge.cs.uni-sb.de/23c3/ (Uni Saarbrücken)
- http://23c3.ccc-trier.de/videos/official/ (Chaos Computer Club Trier e.V.)
- http://ftp.stw-bonn.de/pub/23C3/ (Studentenwerk Bonn)
- http://wwwcip.cs.fau.de/23c3/official/ (Uni Erlangen)
- http://mirror.hgkz.ch/ftp/CCC/23C3/ (HGKZ Zurich, Switzerland)
- http://media.hojann.net/23C3/ (Orem, Utah, U.S.A.)
- rsync://dewy.fem.tu-ilmenau.de/23C3 (FeM e.V. Ilmenau)
- rsync://mirror.hgkz.ch/CCC/23C3/ (HGKZ Zurich, Switzerland)
Unofficial recordings were made from the 23c3 live video streams during the event.
These are not official recordings and are in lower quality than the official recordings.
However, official recordings are not yet available for many of the lectures, so the unofficial videos may be of interest and value until official videos of all the events are made available.
- http://mirror1.kaschwig.net/23C3/ (wmv & ogg)
- http://mirror2.kaschwig.net/23C3/ (wmv & ogg)
- http://mirror3.kaschwig.net/23C3/ (wmv & ogg)
- http://server.c-otto.de/23c3/ (wmv & ogg)
Recordings from previous years
Recordings from previous years (since 1998) can be downloaded here:
The 23c3 effects on the Internet
Many websites on the Internet seem to change or show very .. interesting .. content on some pages during the CCC events. These sites and pages are sometimes added to the "Hacks" page on the CCC website. Microsoft were very quick to remove the 23c3 logo from their Swedish website, while NASA had the 23c3 logo on a page on their weather site for quite some time.
The "Hacks" page also has (soon had?) a quite long list of links to /etc/passwd files on various websites... Other links on this page simply show pages with comments like "Hello, we've changed your password, your new admin password is mailed to you." and "You know, using a default password is bad"...
There are many pictures from 23C3 tagget 23C3 at flickr. There are also pictures here:
- Maiks 23c3 Photos, CC Attribution 2.5, v4, 061230 15h56
- Thomas Gutzmers 23c3 Photos, CC Attribution 2.5, v1, 061229 17h55
- Photo Series on Club Mate
- Photoserie Chaostreff Zuerich zh.chaostreff.ch
- Behrang Fouladi 23c3 Photos
- Events.ccc.de: Who can you trust?
- 23C3: Events
- 23C3: Steven J. Murdoch - Detecting temperature through clock skew
- Remote physical device fingerprinting - Presented at the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, May 8-11, 2005
- OR-Talk: Re: Revealing tor hidden services by their clock skew
- 2006-12-29: Quinn Norton, Wired.com: Computer Warming a Privacy Risk
- 23C3: Tina Lorenz - Pornography and Technology - a love affair
- 23C3: Rootkits as Reversing Tools - An Anonymous Talk
published 2007-01-01 - last edited 2019-06-15
Latest news headlines
- GNU make 4.3 Is Released
- Microsoft WordPad 2020 Will Contain In-App Advertisements
- Wine 5.0 Is Released With Multi-Monitor Support, Vulkan 1.1 Support and New XAudio2 re-implementation
- Per-Process Bandwidth Monitor Bandwhich 0.10.0 Is Released
- Norwegian Study Finds The Online Advertisement Industry To Be "OUT OF CONTROL"
- GParted 1.1.0 Is Released
- Firefox 72.0.2 Is Released
- Vulkan 1.2 Specification Finalized, Linux Support In Place
- Linux 5.5rc7 Is Released
See the more archive for news headlines