Taiwan is a small island country in Asia which is of particular interest to Linux users due to the large amount of hardware manufacturers located there. The very important annual technology / computer trade show Computex is held in Taipei, Taiwan.
Notability In The Technology Space
- Jensen Huang, the Nvidia CEO, is from Taiwan.
- Lisa Su, CEO of AMD CEO, is from Taiwan. She saved that company from the brink of bankruptcy.
- TSMC, the world's leading semiconductor fab in 2020 and pioneers of the 5nm fabrication process, is Taiwanese corporation.
- Every single one of the major motherboard manufacturers (Asus, Biostar, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock) is Taiwanese
- Acer, one of the biggest computer manufacturers alongside Asus, is also Taiwanese
- The memory manufacturers G.Skill and Transcend are Taiwanese
- Many computer monitor manufacturers like AOC, ViewSonic, and HannStar are Taiwanese
- Leading computer case manufacturers Cooler Master, Thermaltake, SilverStone, and Lian Li are Taiwanese
- Several Power Supply Unit manufacturers like Seasonic and SilverStone are Taiwanese
- Many GPU board partners like e.g. PowerColor, MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS are Taiwanese
Taiwan is also known as "Chinese Taipei" because China and Chinese-owned organizations such as the World Heath Organization consider Taiwan to be a part of China.
Yvonne Tong interviewing then WHO vice president Bruce Aylward in the end of March, 2020.
Internal WHO memo from 2010.