Fedora 30 released with GNOME 3.32, GCC 9 and LUKS2 for disk encryption
This latest Fedora release has Linux kernel 5.0, Mesa 19 and a lot of other updated packages compared to the previous release. It is now available in Workstation (GNOME), KDE, XFCE4, LxQt and a server flavor.
It is available for x86-64 machines as well as ARM, AArch64, S90x and Power systems.
Notable for the server edition is the inclusion of PHP 7.3 and Linux System Roles. The latter is a way of using rather simple configuration files to configure a set of services.
For desktop users a polished GNOME 3.32 may be attractive. Fedora 30's GNOME has a refreshed icon theme and a more polished UI. There's also XFCE4 and KDE spins as well as two new desktop spins for those who can't stand GNOME and their "make it user-friendly by removing choices and features" policy: Elementary and Deepin.
The base packages in Fedora 30's release are:
- GCC 9.0.1
- Bash 5.0
- GNU C Library 2.29
- Mesa 19.0.2
- PHP 7.3
- Python 3.7.3
The official place to download Fedora 30 is getfedora.org. You may find that it's quicker and easier to use torrent.fedoraproject.org since that's just one simple page with an overview of all the spins and flavors - no clicking around required.
last edited 2019-05-06
Latest news headlines
- Richard Stallman has resigned from his position as president of the Free Software Foundation
- Linux Kernel 5.3 is released
- Linux Kernel 5.3 rc8 is released and 5.3 final is coming soon
- F-Droid 1.7.1 available
- Qt Creator 4.10.0 released with Android targets for CMake and Qbs projects
- Mesa 19.2 rc2 released with support for Navi and "unreleased" AMD chip
- Warzone 2100 3.3 released with better graphics and high resolution monitor support
- Git v2.23.0 is released and available
- Fedora 31 is branched: Here are the high-lights in the next Fedora version
See the more archive for news headlines